Maybe you’re a social media whiz, Facebooking, Tweeting and Instagraming on the regular, but for many, you may feel like “Tweeting” is just for the birds. If you’re uncomfortable with using social media and you run a business, here is our tip: GET COMFORTABLE!
Not to yell, but, this is THE way marketing is going. Social media is not going away, it’s here to stay and it’s the primary marketing choice of many successful businesses. Here are a few interesting statistics for you…
- 46% of web users look towards social media when making a purchase
- 8 out of 10 small businesses use social media to drive business growth
- 3 of 5 small businesses say they have gained new customers by using social media
- 82% of buyers say they trust a company more when it’s CEO and senior leadership team are active in social media
- 70% of business to consumer marketers have acquired customers through Facebook
- Over 90% say they follow businesses on Twitter to get discounts and promotions
- 84% of luxury brands have a presence on Pinterest
- 74% or brand marketers saw an increase in website traffic after investing just 6 hours per week in social media
- A quarter of Facebook users will log on at least 5 times per day
These are just a handful of statistics about how social media is a growing trend in the business world.
Utilizing social media regularly can help drive traffic to your website. If your website is designed right (ah hem, like by fabulous web design companies that start with the letter M…then O….then D….) then those increased visitors should easily convert to increased sales. As an added bonus, social media will decrease your marketing costs and help you engage with your consumers and ensure customer satisfaction is high.
Social media doesn’t have to be scary. If you’re unfamiliar with one (or all) social media platforms, start slow, open an account and browse around. Most of them will explain how to use their website. Some of the most used, and most popular ones to start with (as of today) are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and possibly YouTube, depending on your business. LinkedIn is also pretty important for any business professional to at least have a profile set up. But, that being said, we also need to always stay current. New social sites are popping up all the time – some flop, and others trend very quickly. As a business owner in today’s digital world, it’s imperative to stay up to date with what’s hot and what’s not when it comes to social media.
Maybe you have accounts, but you aren’t sure where to start, or what to say on your Tweets or Facebook posts – take a look at the top 5 reasons why people follow brands on social media:
- Promotions and discounts
- For latest product information
- Customer service
- Entertaining content
- Ability to offer feedback
With that in mind, you can strategically post to cater to what your followers want. In our opinion, the right balance of quality and engaging posts on your social media accounts will bring you the most success. Too many uninteresting posts will have people “unfollowing” or “unliking” your page in a hurry. One post a week might be a good place to start. Find ways to get your followers engaging with you, but most importantly, remember to remain professional yet fun.
Does your business use social media on a regular basis? Please feel free to share your experiences with using social media to drive business in the comments below.
Speaking of social media…(love that segway, eh?), don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and also subscribe (using the subscription form in the footer) to The Mod Blog for updates on new posts.